Free workshop for volunteers preparing to create the Steck Ave. Bridge Mosaic! Sign up now — space is limited to 8 more people!
Intro to Mosaic workshop for North Shoal Creek Neighbors
Saturday, Sept 22 9:30-noon
Austin Mosaic Guild
1810 W Anderson Lane
Austin, Texas 78757
Instructor: Dianne Sonnenberg
This workshop is for North Shoal Creek neighbors to learn techniques of making a mosaic so that we will be prepared to work together on our neighborhood beautification, public art project of decorating the Steck Avenue bridge (at Steck and Daleview) with beautiful mosaic art.
Folks participating in this introductory workshop will be learning techniques that we will use to work together, as well as guide other volunteers, in creating the mosaic on mesh backing that will then be installed on the cement pillars of the bridge. Dates, times and locations for those work days are to be determined, but our hope is that participants in this workshop will be willing to dedicate time during October-November.
At this workshop we will each create a simple design on a 4 inch square mosaic to take home with you.
This is the process:
• Create a simple design on paper. (Simple is the key word! Like a heart or circle or star or similar pattern)
• Prepare the fiberglass mesh backing.
• Learn to cut, place and work with the materials and adhesives. We will discuss safety.
• When adhesive is dry, transfer it to a small stone tile (similar to the concrete pillars!)
• Grouting (there will probably not be time to do this in the same session, so we will demo, and figure out whether we will send you home with the grout or come back to finish.)
Everyone should wear closed toe shoes, and “work/play” clothes. The adhesives can be messy.
There is no fee to participants, except your commitment to volunteer hours this fall to help realize the Steck Bridge Mosaic project. This project is part of our North Shoal Creek Neighborhood Partnering Program approved by the City Public Works Dept. February 2017.
We have space available for 8 more for this initial workshop.
Please reply to beautificationchair [at] nscna [dot] org as soon as possible, or by end of day on Thursday, Sept 20 so that we can reserve your spot!
If you have questions, please call Amelia at 512-364-5519.